When Did We Grow Up?
So, the other night as I was showering with a roach (yes, that is right, a roach) I began to contemplate the complicated nature of life and wondered when did this start. Five minutes ago I was a bratty teenager who couldn't wait to get out of the house and go to school. Then in the blink of an eye you find yourself graduated, married, trying to split up the holidays between two families, working to pay the bills and hoping you break even. I found myself even more grown up recently. I found out last week that I am having a miscarriage at about 3 months along. First off, who on earth said that I could have a kid! I am a kid! Second, a miscarriage is an adult thing your parents talk about but it doesn't actually happen to anyone you know! The odd thing is that I am totally calm about this, not really upset because it seems to be the natural way of life. So the question I pose to you is when did this happen? When did we stop being pimple faced (I wish that part had gone away) teenagers that had really not a care in the world beyond feeling insecure and unpopular. When did we cross that line into true adult life? Is anyone else feeling this? These are my random thoughts. Make of them what you will...

2 Comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, but I'm glad to hear that you're dealing with it as well as you are. My prayers will be with you and Kevin. I've been thinking about this sort of thing too lately. In six months, I'll be moved to LA and about to start a real job with a real salary and real benefits. I don't feel like I'm grown up enough to have such a grown up job and to be moving to the big city by myself. But then my sisters tell me about how they were married and pregnant when they were my age, and I think, wow, maybe I am growing up. But I still don't know. It's strange.
Look at this. Lyns, you have a masters! Can you believe that? You are moving and working for a real company! You will have financial responsibilities! Angi, you are totally married and all the joys that comes with that! I totally miss girl time. I was trying to explain this to Kevin the other day. He totally didn't get it. He said, "well you can go have girl time with my mom." Totally not the same! I miss seeing you girls. Maybe we could have a cyber lunch date some time. Wouldn't that be nuts if we all met online at a certain time...just a thought.
Post a Comment
<< Home