The Original Regency 15

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What a dilema!

I'm sitting here with calculator in hand. I've been on the phone for the past 40 minutes. Half of it trying to get a hold of people who don't answer, half of it talking to people who can't really give me any advice. Aaron's gone mountain biking with the scouts. I've seen him for a total of 2 minutes today. That about sums up the total coherent time we've spent together in the last two days. So I turn to you. My friends. I know you can't really offer any more advice than those voices over the cell towers, but at least you'll listen.
I'm in a dilema. I have two job offers for the summer and I don't know which one to take. One would be working for the Forest Service doing data entry. Sounds exciting, I know. But it would only be part time, which means I could still work for the environmental consultant and have time to do fun things. When I want, no less. I would be the planner of my summer. The other offer is to work for the Park Service (yes, there is a difference between Forest and Park, although they all have the same bureaucratic paperwork). I would do rare plant studies, work by myself and spend the whole time outside. Almost the whole time. I would be a little more tied down. 40 hour weeks. It would also mean paying more money to drive back and forth, or stay in a cabin on the mountain. Very appealing, but most nights without Aaron. We told ourselves that this summer would be for the garden and for remodeling the house. If I work for the Park, it will be like last summer - no one home. It's such a cool opportunity though. I mean, the Park Service! How cool would it be to say "Oh, I work for the Park Service"? It would be cool. (Maybe I could even convince them to give me one of those cool ranger hats. Now that would be awesome!) The job would only last 2 months. Then I'd have the last part free to do what I like. I can go back to work for the environment, go on trips. Too bad St. George is hottest in August. Wish I could have missed that month.
So there it is. I feel better for having talked about it. When I see pros and cons in both. Maybe you read something I didn't. Anyway, I'm accepting 2 cents from anyone that cares to give it. I'll even give it back if you feel you're in a tight pinch. :)
Love ya girls! Thanks for listening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

My vote (while it may be a selfish one) is that you take the part-time job witht the Forest Service. That way when I come through on my way to LA, we'll have more time to play.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Angi said...

I only have 2 questions....
1. Which one pays more?
2. Which one have is more exciting to you? Example: If it's always been your big dream to work for the park service then I think you should take the job.

Hope that helps. Love ya!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

It seems to me that you have quite the dilemna. Freedom vs. dreams. Good vs. evil. Right vs. Wrong. What is a girl to do? This my friend is when you do as the first presidency making mission calls and get out the good old dart board. Now one shot is not good enough. Personally I would go for best of out three to see which really has the stronger pull. Should Aaron come between you and the board know that fate has told you to abandon all hope and do nothing for the summer. Hope that helps.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home